Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Sodastream Out of Gas

Hot on the heels of the last Candle gig, some more horrible news:

Sodastream are breaking up.

I know, how has it come to this? According to an excerpt from their email, on Mess+Noise, they have "decided not to force a situation that could potentially damage (their) many happy memories of the journey thus far". The boys have just been touring Europe for three months so possibly there was some tension building up on the road?

Can I just say, this sux. I feel bereft. I only got into Sodastream in the second half of last year, and Reservations pretty quickly became my album of the year. I saw them live at the Corner and was sufficiently blown away to buy both A Minor Revival and the Take Me With You When You Go EP immediately after the gig. Since then I've also picked up The Hill for Company. All are great releases.

Why are they so good? Well, in lieu of trying to describe too fully the transcendental, here's a selection of tracks:

[mp3 - 5MB] Sodastream - Heaven on the Ground (from The Hill for Company)
[mp3 - 7MB] Sodastream - Horses (from A Minor Revival)
[mp3 - 6MB] Sodastream - Charity Board (from Take Me With You When You Go)
[mp3 - 4MB] Sodastream - Firelines (from Reservations)

It's something about the combination of Karl Smith's silken voice and Pete Cohen's subterranean upright bass and vocal chords; in Karl's poetic lyrics and varied structures. I don't know. Don't care right now. Might just put Sodastream on shuffle for the rest of the day and weep silently at my desk.

Get thee to a CD shop and pick up some Sodastream, show them we love them and will miss them. And then buy tickets for the farewell gig:

Sodastream
@ The East Brunswick Club
Friday, March 2nd 2007
$14+bf

Do it. I can't be there. I'm distraught. Do it for me.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said:

Sad, but ultimately not a bad time. The last album wasn't their best, by a long shot. They sounded over it in recent interviews. I wonder what's next?

1:40 pm  
Blogger Dave said:

You think not? As I said, I loved it bigtime and none of the older works have come up to it for me (haven't heard Looks Like a Russian though).

As for next, Karl's presumably going to ramp up Small Sips (with the Matts from Paradise Motel). And Pete's played recently with Because of Ghosts and The Guild League and Richard Easton and etc. So he shouldn't have too many problems finding a gig. It's quite exciting, really.

5:52 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Contact

Out There

Bloggin' Melbourne

Melbourne Radio

Melbourne Venues

Other Stuff in Melbs

Local Labels

Local Record Shops

Local Tours

Bloggin' Oz

Sites Oz

Bloggin' the Globe

Sites Worldly

Previously


Across the Rooftops 2006